Thursday 24 April 2014

New US based kit supplier

This has been requested by lots of people in the US.  Bitsbox are a fantastic resource for this site supplying kits and other parts to many destinations around the world, but unfortunately the insurance requirement for shipping goods to the US became prohibitively expensive for some businesses over here and so they had to make the decision to stop shipments to the US.  Many of the visitors to this blog, in fact the majority of visitors to this blog are US based and I have been asked about kits for a couple of years now by many people, and now you can get them.

MKLEC is a small independent retailer located in Columbus, Mississippi and they have been working hard for a couple of months now to get their stocks up on the components required for the kits, and have now started putting them together.  At the moment only the Deep Blue Delay kit is up on their site, but it will be followed by the Klon very shortly and lots more to follow.  The kits will be posted on this page:

http://mklec.com/project-kits/guitar-effects-kits

The business is run by husband and wife David and Amanda who are lovely people, and I would encourage anyone who is interested in buying kits in the US to contact them to give them feedback of what kits you would like to see first, then they can give some kits priority in putting them together.

As I said they have been putting a lot of work in getting the parts together and David was adamant that he use high quality components throughout, so the kits use Xicon 1% metal film resistors, Nichicon and Panasonic polyester film capacitors, WIMA and Cornell Dubilier for the polybox cap and audio grade electrolytics so even if you are indifferent about component types, you can be assured of quality and longevity of the popular branded components chosen.

If you have any questions then get in contact with us, or even better MKLEC directly so you can hear straight from the horses mouth.

David has sent me a kit to build and when completed this will be given away in a free draw to new customers signing up for an account with MKLEC via this blog, so when you do sign up make sure you note tagboardeffects somewhere in the registration form so you can be included in the draw.  Just pop it in one of the unused form boxes like Fax, Company or Company ID or alternatively send him an email so you're added to the list.

20 comments:

  1. Great News! Thanks for organizing all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to hit these guys up next time I need to order some parts. If they can reinvest in expanding their inventory (and, of course offer reasonable shipping and prices), I'll definitely throw my money their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NIce one. He has ordered a lot to have stock available for our kind of things, and it'll keep growing as he gets more and more kits available. Plus it's nice to support the small family type stores rather than the multinationals, especially when the prices are also good.

      Delete
    2. Hey Keith,
      Thank you for your feedback and we're definitely working diligently to expand our inventory as quickly as possible. We put a great deal of effort into ensuring quality while also striving to keep the prices low so our customers get a great deal on quality products and don't have to go broke to do so.
      And as IvIark said, we're also working on adding more kits, which requires a lot of work since they consist of many components and we want to provide nothing but high quality components that ensure the best sounding pedals.

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear it. By the way, Hello from a long time Pearl, MS resident :) You'll most definitely get some business from me.

      Delete
    4. Oh, just a note. Finding heat shrink tube locally is bizarrely difficult so I usually end up buying it from Hong Kong. I am now addicted to the stuff. Tayda doesn't sell it and neither does mammoth Electronics. Might be a good item to stock up on. I can't live without it now. ;p

      Delete
    5. Heath, I made an order last night after an email to the MKLEC. They were friendly and quick to respond. BTW How many of us are from Mississippi? I live right down the road in Richland.

      Delete
  3. nice little web store, I will definitely keep them in mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to personally thank everyone for the level of feedback received so far and also thank IvIark for making it possible. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there are components you need and don't see listed or if you have questions in general because we're here to serve you.
    As I told Mark, I'm excited to further serve the US market and cater to the guitar pedal enthusiasts. Thanks again everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys
    Some pictures of completed box inside and out would great to see more of. Jus a suggestion. I like to compare mine to yours. You show me yours and i'll show you mine :) lol. Thanks that is all
    V

    ReplyDelete
  6. but without acknowledging the kit web store this a is a GREAT idea. I know i will be doing biz with these folks asap. Thanks to who ever thought about this and put the work in to action. Def a good idea guys. That is all...lol :)
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!
    If you guys can stock parts like, Mica caps and 1% resistors, that would b a big help! Without having to order from Thailand and China and wait till the boat comes in! Wow what a great idea guys. That is all :) lol V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great new source for me even though I'm not interested in kits really.

    Random question. I see some electret mics for sale. Anyone know which one is used for the bootlegger mic? Or should I just spend the $9 on the bootlegger kit :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's very cool, if they keep their prices that low, they should do really well, especially if they are doing kits with transistors and ics that are not laying around my parts collection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just placed my first order. I got some good bulk for $25!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I received my first order from MKLEC and was VERY impressed. Hard to believe that I would ever find a more efficient place than Tayda... but I did. Super fast shipping, low prices, extremely well packaged and attention to detail. I will definitely be buying more electronics from this place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup looks like they will give Tayda a run for their money here in the U.S.. I just received my first little order from them about twice as fast a Tayda and 3 times cheaper on shipping. Hope they can keep up with all the hoarders on this site, like me. : )
    I really like the knobs I got, and as The Peddler said " extremely well packed.
    Thanks for pointing us in their direction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another order from MKLEC arrived today.
    Great prices and super FAST shipping.
    Recommended!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sad that MKLec is no longer around... I'm glad they were when I got started, their kits made things easier on me at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete