Saturday 12 January 2013

Orion Fuzz

Masaru Kubota's take on Fuzz Face. Pretty nice. Info: This is the Orion Fuzz.  When I first published this webpage, I suggested the option of replacing the phase network of The Allies Fuzz with an RC network.  Pretty simple, just connect the capacitor going to the emitter junction of the second stage to ground instead.  It's funny to watch all the people who were wrong about me.  They're the idiots who try to make no answer a "yes", somewhat like my neighbors, who still think that I'm a foreigner, when they knew that I was born in California in 1971.  They're the kind of people who think that Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible was white.  You gotta love 'em.



10 comments:

  1. Nice!
    Gotta 'Mojo' layout for that one?

    REQ: FoxRox Si Fuzz or FoxRox cc hybrid fuzz!


    Yall ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm getting some crazy oscillation noise and I think about 5 of the components are out of place. BAHAHAHA, just kidding it's totally fine, tag it! Sorry dude, I couldn't resist after the problems I caused yesterday. I'd swap lugs 1 and 3 of the volume pot though as it's working back to front at the moment. Thanks for another of Kubota's circuits, quick and simple but good sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, D1 is just polarity protection, right? 1N4001?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. That's correct. I'll add it to the layout...
      +m

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Miro! I'm really grateful for all the layouts. You and Mark are doing a great service for the obsessive tinkerers of the world.

      Delete
  4. It works (sort of)! I used a 1k pot for the fuzz in lieu of 500 ohm, but if I turn the knob past 12 o'clock, the sound cuts in and out (sorry, can't figure out the proper terminology). Also, I used a 1n4148 per the original schematic, so I don't know how much difference that makes.
    Thanks again. love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like the 1K is just too much for the circuit. If you have 1K resistors, solder one of those to the pot. One lead to lug 1 and the other to lug 3. That'll make the taper "wrong", but the sweep should work ok.
      +m

      Delete
    2. I ended up finding a 500 ohm pot, wired it, and I still get the same result. I'm thinking there might be a bad solder joint somewhere. Thanks for the help!

      Delete
  5. Built this and i like it a lot. Has a wee bit of oscillation with the pots turned up but i quite like that as it adds to its uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete